Whom is the NISM Series VB Mutual Fund Foundation Certification Examination mandatory for?
Originally launched to create a new cadre of mutual fund distributors, the NISM VB Mutual Fund Foundation Examination seeks to create common minimum knowledge benchmark for new cadre of mutual fund distributors, as per SEBI circular CIR/IMD/DF/21/2012 dated September 13, 2012, involved in selling and distributing simple and performing mutual fund schemes:
- Postal agents
- Retired government and semi-government officials (class III and above or equivalent) with a service of at least 10 years
- Retired teachers with a service of at least 10 years
- Retired bank officers with a service of at least 10 years, and other similar persons (such as Bank correspondents) as may be notified by AMFI/AMC from time to time
The certification aims to enhance the quality of sales, distribution and related support services in the mutual fund industry.
What topics are covered in the NISM VB Mutual Fund Foundation Certification Exam?
On successful completion of the examination the candidate should:
- Basics of mutual funds, their role and structure, different kinds of mutual fund schemes and their features
- How mutual funds are distributed in the market-place, how specified schemes are to be evaluated and how suitable schemes can be recommended by this cadre of distributors to prospective investors.
- Rules and regulations related to distribution of specified products.
- Basics of financial planning as an approach to investing in mutual funds.
What is the Assessment Structure for NISM Series VB : Mutual Fund Foundation Exam?
The NISM VB Mutual Fund Foundation Examination consists of 50 questions of 1 mark each and should be completed in 2 hours. The passing score for the examination is 50%. There shall be no negative marking.
Test Duration (in minutes)
No. of Questions
Pass Marks (%)
Certificate # Validity (in years)
Where can I download the workbook for this exam?
You can download the official NISM VB Mutual Fund Foundation workbook free of cost from our website. You can also order the NISM VB Mutual Fund Foundation workbook at 5% discount.
For latest updates about the exam, please visit nism.ac.in